separate class and type namespace

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Jan 31 08:35:43 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:52:22AM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> There's a choice about whether a newtype should be exported with
> 'newtype T' or 'data T', or either.

I would think it would be 'type T' since the category should identify
the namespace of what you are trying to export rather than what it is.

you certainly don't want to have to change import (data T) to import
(newtype T) when the implementation changes :)

the namespaces I can think of are class,type,value,kind,method,field

though, probably class,type,value and kind will be the only useful ones.
and 'value' could be the default if nothing is specified.

I like the idea of doing this too because it also gives a place to
attach other extensions to, like 'closed class Foo' if we decide we like
closed classes.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈