the MPTC Dilemma (please solve)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 1 03:18:17 EST 2006

| >You addressed this to me -- but I'm an advocate for rather
conservative
| >extensions whereas you are calling for extensions that go beyond what
| >any current implementation can do.
|
| generally, that may be true,-) but in this specific case, I was just
asking
| for an effort to document the differences in current handling of
extended
| Haskell in hugs and ghc, by collecting test cases such as those I
included.

Collecting test cases is indeed useful.

But since it is apparently well beyond Haskell', you probably don't want
to tangle it up with the Haskell' web site.  In that case, a plausible
place to collect them would be the GHC user documentation wiki
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC:Documentation.   At the bottom is
"Collaborative documentation" and you could add a new page for
"Overlapping instances and functional dependencies" or whatever.  It's
all entirely world-writeable.

I know you want to describe the differences between GHC and Hugs, but
this seems as good a place as any to do so.

thanks

Simon