Strict tuples

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 20 05:47:52 EST 2006

On 19 March 2006 14:53, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Manuel,
>
> Sunday, March 19, 2006, 5:35:12 AM, you wrote:
>
> MMTC> PS: IIRC Clean supports strict tuples.
>
> i've proposed to allow adding strict mark to any type constructors and
> type constructor parameters so that finally we can define any data
> structure that can be defined in strict languages. in particular:
>
> type StrictPair a b = !(,) a b
> type StrictElements a b = (,) !a !b
> type StrictBoth a b = !(,) !a !b
> type StrictFunction a b = !(->) !a !b
>
> strictMap :: StrictFunction a b -> ![!a] -> ![!b]
>
> where ![!a] is a strict list with strict elements

Bulat, this doesn't constitute a proposal.  It leaves too many questions
unanswered.  If it is supposed to be just syntactic sugar, and I believe
that is your intention, then can you show me how the above definitions
translate into Haskell 98?

I think you'll need to include a lot more detail for this to be a
proposal.

Cheers,
	Simon