Strict tuples

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 20 08:26:56 EST 2006

On 20 March 2006 12:26, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> 2) to allow "changing" of strictness inside existing ADTs, i propose
> to "copy" strictness annotations on type arguments to the type
> declaration bodies:
>
> data List a = Nil | Cons (List a) a
> type StrictElements a = List !a
>
> is equal to the:
>
> data StrictElements a = Nil | Cons (List a) !a

So, in fact StrictElements is not compatible with the List type at all
(that is, you can't pass a value of type (StrictElements Int) to a
function expecting (List Int)).  I can envisage that this might be a
sound extension, and imlementable, but is it what you mean?  I don't
think so.

I imagine you want a lot of automatic conversion back and forth bewteen
strict and lazy types.  This is where it gets a *lot* trickier, starting
with the type system.

> i.e. it's the same list but each element is strict. using strictness
> annotation on type constructor itself should mean strictifying of all
> other (non-type-variable) fields:
>
> type StrictList a = !List a
> =>
> data StrictList a = !Nil | !Cons !(List a) a

I don't know what !Nil or !Cons mean.

> of course, i don't mean introducing new incompatible types - that is a
> compiler responsibility (sorry, Simon :)

Well, you haven't told me what type system I need to implement, so it's
not just an implementation issue.  And it seems to me that you *are*
introducing incompatible types.

Cheers,
	Simon