Concurrency (was: RE: Re[2]: important news: refocusingdiscussion)

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Mar 29 06:10:28 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:56:41AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Fair enough - I take that as a vote for a concurrency addendum.

Actually, I think there is a lot we can standardize in a portable way
when it comes to concurrency without compromising the ability for any
compiler to implement it and I think it would be very worthwhile to do
so. in the report proper.

> I think it's a bit unfair to talk about "GHC-style concurrency".  There
> are many different ways to implement exactly what GHC currently
> provides.  In fact, we were very careful when designing it to ensure
> that this was the case:

yeah, when I say GHC style concurrency, I mean the interface that ghc
has. forkIO,MVar, etc... as opposed to event-loop, O'Haskell, expliticly
scheduled, manual continuations, etc.. but I have been clumsy about
whether I mean cooperative or fully-preemptive by GHC-style. I'll try to
make that clear.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈