FFI, safe vs unsafe

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Mar 30 19:11:57 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 12:52:11AM +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:
> >>didn't I mention that "concurrent" may be inappropriate and misleading,
> >>and that I think it is bad practice to rely on the programmer annotating
> >>the dangerous cases, instead of the safe cases?
> >
> >I think dangerous is a misleading term here. you are already using the
> >FFI, all bets are off. and it is not really dangerous to accidentally
> >hold up your VM when you didn't expect, it is more just a simple bug.
>
> perhaps "dangerous" was too strong a term, but if programmers don't
> annotate an ffi declaration, what is more likely: that they meant to state
> a property of that function, or that they didn't mean to?
>
> if there is a way to avoid simple bugs by not making assumptions about
> undeclared properties, then I'd prefer that to be the default route. if,
> on the other hand, programmers do annotate the ffi declaration, then
> it is up to them to make sure that the function actually has the property
> they claim for it (even in such cases, Haskell usually checks the
> declaration, but that isn't an option here).

Well, I would consider the performance bug the more serious one. in
fact, they both are performance/scalability bugs rather than correctness
ones. but one is obvious when you get it wrong, the other is subtle and
could go unnoticed a long time and just make you think haskell is a slow
language. we should make it so the obvious one is the more likely
failure route so people fix it right away.

> >>wouldn't the safe approach be to assume that the foreign call may do
> >>anything, unless the programmer explicitly tells you about what things
> >>it won't do (thus taking responsibility).
> >
> >I think the worse problem will be all the libraries that are only tested
> >on ghc that suddenly get very poor performance or don't compile at all
> >when attempted elsewhere.
>
> - GHC and the other implementations should issue a warning for
>    using non-standard or non-implemented features (that includes code
>    that won't obviously run without non-standard features)
> - if an implementation doesn't implement a feature, there is no way
>    around admitting that, standard or not

well, there is if you didn't need the feature in the first place, but
didn't realize it because it was obscured. the bigger danger is that the
feature will be implemented, but very sub-optimally as in, hundreds of
times slower than a fast call could easily be true so you get a very
silent but fatal bug. FFI routines do need to be annotated correctly,
sometimes for correctness and sometimes for performance. when
correctness is at stake, you should err on the side of correct, when
performance is at stake you should err on the side of what will cause
the most rukus when you get it wrong :)

> >However, the 'nonreentrant' case actually is dangerous in that it could
> >lead to undefined behavior which is why that one was not on by default.
>
> why not be consistent then, and name all attributes so that they are off
> by default, and so that implementations that can't handle the off case will
> issue a warning at least?

yeah, that is what I originally proposed, but Simon brought up the good
point (paraphrasing, I think this was his reasoning) that 'reentrant' is
important for the safety of the system (as in, segfaults and corruption
result when getting it wrong) while 'concurrent' is simply a choice on
the part of the programmer as to what behavior they want.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈