Concurrency

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Mar 31 17:43:07 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 04:29:59PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> On 3/31/06, John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote:
> > >   - I wouldn't include threadWaitRead, threadWaitWrite,
> > >     or threadDelay at all.  These can all be implemented using
> > >     FFI, so don't belong in the concurrency library.  Their
> > >     presence is largely historical.
> >
> > They all have special implementations on a 'epoll' based system.
> > threadDelay turns into the timeout parameter to select, waitread/write
> > turn into the basic building blocks of your epoll wait-list. We
> > definitly want these in the interface as primitves.
>
> And they're all a pain because they don't take sets of files, only
> single ones. Can we please have something like:
>
> threadWait :: Timeout -> [Handle] -> IO ?

Oh, that is definitly planned as part of an 'epoll' interface I have
been calling Event.

depending on the compiler, Concurrent might be implemented on top of
Event or Event might be implemented on top of Concurrent :)

In any case, I left it out of the proposal here because it is relatively
orthogonal (from a design, not an implemenatition point of view) but I
definitly think it should exist.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈