[Haskell-cafe] Fractional/negative fixity?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Nov 8 08:39:13 EST 2006

Bulat Ziganshin schrieb:
> Hello Nicolas,
>
> Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 1:25:23 AM, you wrote:
>
>>   prec ?? < $
>> over-specification). You want ?? to bind more tightly than does $;
>> that's exactly what this approach would let you specify.
>
> and how then compiler will guess that is relational priority of this
> operator comparing to '$!' ? :)

For an expression like

   a ?? b $! c

it would have to emit an error message, since it isn't clear whether the
programmer meant

   (a ?? b) $! c

or

   a ?? (b $! c)

In fact that wouldn't be clear to a human reader, either, so it's
actually a Good Thing that the programmer must explicitly disambiguate
the expression!

Dan Weston's proposal (let local fixity declarations augment and/or
override those imported from the module that defines an operator) would
eliminate the pain in code that makes heavy use of both operators.

Fractional priorities, on the other hand, would silently resolve this
kind of ambiguity.
What makes this troublesome is that programmers and maintainers won't
always assume the same resolution as the one that the compiler chose;
such things are one of the more powerful ingredients for the occasional
debugging nightmare.
This lesson has already been learned several times now (I know of PL/I
and C++, which both have had their share of problems due to overly
ambitious defaulting mechanisms). No need to repeat that.

Regards,
Jo