Y0: (y-naught)

William DUCK guillaume.fortaine at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 15 09:02:40 EDT 2006

Hello,

I ask myself if we could take some ideas from this paper :

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~aleks/papers/hoarelogic/httsep.pdf

Y0:  (y-naught)  A next generation functional programming language.  The focus
of this project is a synthesis of good ideas from the ML, Haskell,  Scheme,
and LF communities.  In particular, we are designing a language that like ML
and Scheme, is primarily call-by-value, but like Haskell, provides good
support for laziness.  As in Haskell and FX, we are attempting to isolate
effects and reflect them in the types.  As in Haskell, O'Caml, and LF, we are
trying to push the boundaries of type systems and type inference to the next
level.  Currently, I am working with Amal Ahmed, Mathew Fluet, and Aleks
Nanevski on issues involving state and effects.  I am also working with
Norman Ramsey & Paul Govereau on integrating type-classes with ML-style
modules.

Concerning merging Haskell and ML, Manuel M T Chakravarty already did some
great research :

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/papers/mtc.ps.gz

For dependent types, we  have already :

http://www.e-pig.org/ ( lacks dependent I/O )

Moreover, the parallel programming seems to be the future due to the massive
multithreading abilities of next-gen processor... :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_processor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELL

Best Regards,

				Will