[Haskell] Views in Haskell

Mark Tullsen tullsen at galois.com
Thu Jan 25 14:44:16 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Claus Reinke wrote:

>> Strangely, for other reasons, I'm planning, within a week or so,
>> to  start implementing the "pattern-binder" syntax I discussed in
>> the paper (either in GHC or as a pre-processor).
>
> I'm somewhat surprised to read this. Between view patterns, lambda-
> match,
> and Control.Monad.Match, I thought we were approaching a situation in
> which we have all the essential aspects covered (perhaps apart from
> the fact that your combinators come in both left-right and right-
> left variants), with slightly more convenience and better
> integration with existing pattern match facilities
> Especially the pattern-binder syntax and translation strike me as more
> complicated (so much so that I would rather use a simplified form
> of the translation result than all that machinery) and no more
> general than combining view patterns with pattern functions. But
> perhaps that is a
> question of personal style (and my own use of type-classes to lift
> mplus to pattern-functions has also been classed as complicated by
> others;-).
>
> Is there anything specific you find missing, or a those other
> reasons the
> motivation with going for your own version?
>
> Claus

Good question.  It's not that I think there is some "essential aspect"
which isn't covered: View patterns will definitely add some useful
expressiveness,
and ditto for lambda-match and Control.Monad.Match (though I haven't
yet had time
to fully assimilate this stuff: I didn't start following this thread
till yesterday).

First Class Patterns are radical enough and are so far from meshing
with the
pattern language of Haskell that I don't really consider them a
"competing proposal".

My motivations for implementing "pattern-binder" syntax are as follows
   1) I have a special need for some significant syntactic sugar for
which pattern binders
      perfectly fit the bill.  (For general programming I use my
pattern combinators and
      the 'do' notation.)
   2) There are other reasons why I want to use Haskell-98 and would
like to be able to use
      other compilers.  Thus, I'd want a pattern-binder preprocessor
(extending GHC is
      not as important to me).

Here's my motivating example.  Here's a fragment for an STG
interpreter in Haskell-98:
{{{
   rule_CASE_ELIM (Case p alts, s, h, o) =
       do
       ConApp c as <- ptsTo p h
       let matchAlt (Alt c' vs e) | c == c' = Just (vs,e)
           matchAlt _                       = Nothing
       (vs,e) <- matchFirst matchAlt alts
       return (e `sub` (vs,as), s, h, o)
}}}

I'd like it to have a textual form just a little more abstract, I can
do that with
pattern binders and some appropriate combinators:

{{{
   rule_CASE_ELIM =
       { (Case p alts    , s, h, o) }
               &&& ptsTo p h === { ConApp c as  }
               &&& alts === matchFirst { Alt #c vs e }
       .->
         (e `sub` (vs,as), s, h, o)
}}}

I'll leave it as an exercise to figure out how the last is
parenthesized ;-).

- Mark