Standard libraries

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Nov 15 09:34:59 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 10:54:28AM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> second, every year Haskell committee should decide which libraries of
> currently Hackage-available are most widely used, portable and free,
> and call this set a "Haskell-xxxx standard libraries", together with
> versions inspected.

See also:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/118

(We should also write down somewhere exactly which libraries must follow
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions)

> H2008 libs: base 3.0, FPS 1.0, Binary 1.0
> H2009 libs: base 3.0, FPS 2.0, SuperBinary 0.1
>
> With above-mentioned versioning policy, this means that any
> "FPS 1.0.*" will comply to the H08 standard and this means that this
> line of version may continue to fix bugs, improve performance, add
> support for new systems, while keeping its interface

Note that according to the versioning policy FPS 1.0.1 can, for example,
export functions that 1.0.0 doesn't export.

> One important drawback that i see here is that "full" compiler
> downloads should be shipped with older library versions too - i.e.
> providing newest FPS library will be not enough, you need to ship
> older HSL libraries too

Personally I think it is best to avoid having more than one version of a
library installed. That way you don't have problems when you try to use
2 libraries, and one thinks that ByteString is
fps-1.0:Data.ByteString.ByteString and another that it is
fps-2.0:Data.ByteString.ByteString, resulting in type mismatch errors.

Thanks
Ian