Status of Haskell Prime Language definition

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Oct 16 03:51:23 EDT 2007

John Launchbury wrote:
> Up to now, the Haskell' effort has been mostly about exploring the
> possibilities, to find out what could be in Haskell', and to scope out
> what it might mean. We've now reached the stage where we want to do the
> opposite, namely trying to pin down what we definitely want to have in
> the standard, and what it should look like in detail.

There's still a major technical obstacle, namely  functional
dependencies  vs  associated type synonyms . Some functionality for
programming in the type system is needed for Haskell' but fundeps are
too tricky to get powerful and sound at the same time. The problem with
their promising alternative of associated type synonyms is that they're
very young with their first official release being the upcoming GHC 6.8
. So, they have to stand some test of time before Haskell' can pick one
of the two (probably the latter).

Regards,
apfelmus