patch applied (haskell-prime-status): add ""Make $ left associative, like application"

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:02:35 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Simon Marlow wrote:
> I'm hoping someone will supply some.  There seemed to be strong opinion
> on #haskell that this change should be made, but it might just have been
> a very vocal minority.

These are the arguments off the top of my head:

1) Anything of the form:

    f $ g $ h $ x

with right associative ($) can instead be written:

    f . g . h $ x

where the associativity of ($) doesn't matter. It's not uncommon to want to
peel off the end of such a pipeline to eliminate a point. For the second
form, such a translation is:

    \x -> f . g . h $ x ==> f . g . h

However:

    \x -> f $ g $ h $ x ==> f $ g $ h

Is invalid, so one might argue that writing such pipelines with composition is
a better habit to get into, as it allows easier cleanup of code in this way
(if you like somewhat point-free code, that is).

2) Left associative ($) allows you to eliminate more parentheses. Per #1, any
parentheses eliminated by right associative ($) can be eliminated by (.) and
a single ($). However, left associative ($) allows, for instance:

    f (g x) (h y) ==> f $ g x $ h y

3) Left associative ($) is consistent with left associative ($!). The right
associative version of the latter is inconvenient, because it only allows
things to be (easily) strictly applied to the last argument of a function.
Needing to strictly apply to other arguments gives rise to things like:

   (f $! x) y z
   ((f $! x) $! y) $! z

Left associative, these are:

   f $! x $ y $ z
   f $! x $! y $! z

There may be more arguments, but those are the ones I've heard that I can
think of at the moment. #3 strikes me as the most likely to bite people (the
other two are more stylistic issues), but I suppose I don't know the relative
frequency of strict pipelines (f $! g $! x) versus strict applications at
non-final arguments.

And I suppose one has to weigh these arguments against breaking lots of code.

Cheers,
-- Dan