patch applied (haskell-prime-status): add ""Make $ left associative, like application"

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 03:26:49 EDT 2008

2008/4/23 Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com>:
> Hello Cale,
>

>  Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 10:54:06 AM, you wrote:
>
>  > By the way, as Don suggests, I do strongly advocate this change, and
>
>  i agree that the change by itself is reasonable, but fixing all the old
>  issues and providing new beautiful language version should be project
>  of its own. for example, i will propose raising precedences when there
>  are no spaces around operator. this will significantly reduce amount
>  of parentheses/$s:
>
>  f a+b c*d
>
> f g(x) h(y)

I'm not sure that I'm convinced about that one -- consider the simple function:

f x = x^2

and the two programs:

f x+y = (x+y)^2

f x + y = x^2 + y

That's a pretty hard to see bug, and it sneaks right past the
typechecker. I'm all for a certain amount of whitespace sensitivity,
but that might be going too far.

>  for now, wee need to standardize current haskell practice just for
>  compilers interoperability and teaching purposes (noone wants to write
>  book about ghc 6.8 or teach students to it)

Well, my point is that if we can see these changes that we want to
make to the libraries, it makes little sense to let people write those
books and then change all the libraries out from under them a few
months down the road. Maybe it's what we'll end up doing anyway, but
it's worth considering.

 - Cale