The monomorphism restriction and monomorphic pattern bindings

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:15:19 EDT 2008

Hello,
Removing the MR seems reasonable.  I am a little less certain about
the MPB rule though.  I suspect that, as the wiki page points out,
many uses of pattern bindings are monomorphic but still, there seem to
be a number of examples on the wiki where people have run into this
problem.  So I am not sure that the conclusion that nobody has noticed
the change is valid.  I do believe that you can probably work around
the problem in many situations but the question in my mind is "why
should we have to work around stuff when we have a system that already
works?"  In other words, what problem do MBPs solve?

I should also point out that if we were to adopt the MBP rule, we
would have to adjust the definition of what pattern bindings mean.
For example, I think that this is how things are desugared at the
moment:
(x,y)  = e
becomes
new_var = e
x = case new_var of (v,_) -> v
y = case new_var of (_,v) -> v

It seems that under MBP the second program is not equivalent to the
first because it is more polymorphic.

-Iavor