Outlaw tabs

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 24 08:51:14 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 00:35 +0100, Achim Schneider wrote:
> I guess everyone knows why.

Can I recommend Ian's Good Haskell Style

http://urchin.earth.li/~ian/style/haskell.html

We should have it linked/published more widely. The Vim mode that it
links to is also excellent. We should try and get it ported to the
Haskell emacs mode.

As others have also pointed out adding ghc-options: -fwarn-tabs to a
project .cabal file is a good way to stop them creeping back in.

A lot of projects use -Wall. If there is consensus on the tabs issue
then we could ask for -fwarn-tabs to be included in -Wall. That should
be a good first step. If we cannot achieve consensus within the
community for having -Wall include -fwarn-tabs then we have no hope of
banning them in the language definition.

So lets first test test the waters on that proposal.

Duncan