Outlaw tabs

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 05:11:38 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally do not mind them in my source code if the leading isSpace
> characters on lines are everywhere of the same kind in one source file. If
> all indentations would be done only with tabs then one can easily change the
> indent size for whole file. If monitor is big enough a bigger indent size is
> nicer (easier to see what is indented together). If monitor is smaller then
> smaller indent size is better (lines will not wrap so early).

I do for the following reason: If you use only tabs for leading
whitespace you loose the ability to align things. Here's and example
using a list (view using a fixed width font):

lst = [1, 2, 3
       4, 5, 6]

This definition uses alignment to align the first element on the first
line with the first element of the second line. You can't do this kind
of alignment using tabs.

Cheers,

Johan