StricterLabelledFieldSyntax

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Jul 26 10:07:40 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 03:46:41PM +0200, Sean Leather wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 13:41, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>
> > Would it be useful to add an example with the appropriate parentheses?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what sort of an example you want. Isn't
> >    Just (A {x = 5})
> > one?
> >

> I think an example should be added to the report itself with a mention of
> the change from the previous edition. (Any reasonable example will do.)
> Looking through the proposal's "Report Delta," I didn't see such a change,
> though perhaps it escaped me.

Ah, I see what you mean.

In my opinion the report should just define the language that it
defines. One should be able to take the report and implement the
language, without being distracted by all the differences between it and
other language definitions.

I'm assuming that the polished addenda will be kept and linked from the
language reports page, for people who want to see what's changed, or who
want to add support for the changes to an older implementation.

I think that even an example of where parentheses are needed would be
noise in the report. I don't think the report generally gives examples
for this sort of thing, e.g. I don't think there's an example to
demonstrate that this is invalid without parentheses:
    id if True then 'a' else 'b'

If there is a consensus that examples like this should be added then I
will add them, though.

Thanks
Ian