On the Meaning of Haskell 6

John D. Earle JohnDEarle at cox.net
Mon Nov 30 03:46:35 EST 2009

I have used the expression Forefathers of Haskell before. Someone earlier wrote "Haskell will die with the two Simons." Cruel words that perhaps were not meant to be cruel per se, just a perceived fact. Making the ancient sign with my hand that signifies my authority as a teacher my response is as follows: One must master logic, but not be its slave.

In so many ways it is true, from dust to dust; but any earnest entreaty upon this hallowed ground would involve a token of respect such as this. We are fortunate that we have him. Let us not be neglectful for what we have while we still have it!

In retrospect poor Simon may have said to himself, "What! I'm not dead and buried yet! What is this man saying! I'm not that old!" Perhaps I have caused him to chuckle privately. I would prefer the later.