[Colin Paul Adams] Re: Proposal: Define UTF-8 to be the encoding of Haskell source files

Roel van Dijk vandijk.roel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:25:28 CEST 2011

On 7 April 2011 15:03, Christian Maeder <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
> The code would not suffer much if it were pure ASCII. I would prefer (ascii)
> haddock links to explain the various code points.

The code in question contains Chinese characters like '三', which in a
US-ASCII encoded Haskell file must be written as '\x4e09'. I do not
consider these escape sequences an acceptable substitute.

But this discussion is tangential to the proposal. I am interested in
having a common set of guidelines to ensure interoperability of
Haskell sources. An important part of that is having a common method
of decoding files containing Haskell code. The easiest way to achieve
that is using only 1 encoding. UTF-8 is the best candidate for that
role.