Please apply the comparison function given to nubBy to elements of the list in the order in which they occur in the list.

Ramin Honary ramin.honary at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:03:07 CEST 2011

Greetings,

It might be nice to have "nubBy" work in a way that is more intuitive to
computer scientists who expect list evaluation to work in a specific
order. Unfortunately, Haskell is quite explicit about not specifying the
order of evaluation, which can make Haskell more intuitive for
mathematicians, and less intuitive for most other people.

I don't work on GHC or on the Haskell language committee, but my
understanding is that making the "nubBy" function undefined for operations
that do not test for equality is a simplifying assumption that allows more
freedom for evaluation and optimization. Here is an overly-simple example,
but I hope it makes sense:

a = nubBy (==) ([10-5] ++ takeWhile (<5) [0..20])
b = nubBy (==) (nubBy (==) [5] ++ takeWhile (<5) (nubBy (==) [0..20]))

According to Haskell, both 'a' and 'b' are mathematically equivalent,
because "nubBy" is a distributive and associative function. This implies
that if the compiler can somehow produce more efficient code by first
converting 'a' into 'b' and then applying optimization, it should have the
freedom to do so, and laziness guarantees that freedom. This is a poor
example because obviously 'b' couldn't possibly be easier to optimize than
'a'. But really, who can fathom the logic of those crazy programmers who
implemented the compiler with their ridiculous (but somehow always optimal)
optimization strategies?

If you require interpretation to go by list order, then you also must
eliminate the distributive and associative properties of the "nubBy"
function. By declaring "nubBy" only work on equality operations, you
guarantee that it is associative and distributive across lists, and this
allows a host of optimization strategies to be used which would otherwise be
impossible if list-order application were required.

If list order is important for you, it is easy enough to define your own
"nubBy" function that is not distributive or associative, and can be
therefore optimized differently than when you use "Data.List.nubBy".

This blog post: <
http://blog.llvm.org/2011/05/what-every-c-programmer-should-know.html> is
about C, but the principles are the same: it has a fantastic explanation
about how "undefined behavior" can be really helpful with simplifying
compiler implementation and optimization.

I hope that makes sense, and if I said anything inaccurate, I am at the
mercy of the Haskell-prime mailing list.