Please apply the comparison function given to nubBy to elements of the list in the order in which they occur in the list.

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 09:19:05 CEST 2011

Except that I didn't really say anything about evaluation order, I
said something about the semantics of the higher order function, and
what I wanted those semantics to be.

Now, of course, the Report definition leaves it completely ambiguous
what set of tests nubBy will perform when applied to some equivalence
relation, and there's a fair amount of wiggle room in how it gets
implemented because of that. Maybe some implementations are a little
more efficient than others, or perform fewer tests.

But that's beside the point, because I want to apply nubBy to
non-equivalence relations and have it do something sensible, because
the Report sample implementation of nubBy is actually *useful* when
applied to more general relations. Maybe not as frequently as
something like foldr, but I have a case where I want to apply it to
something which isn't an equivalence relation come up maybe every
couple of months, and it's really frustrating that it's undefined.

It's similar to only having a 'fold' function which is formally
undefined for non-associative operators, and not being able to rely on
the association that it gives you. Sure, there might be cases where
that actually helps a lot with performance (it's certainly crucial for
parallelism), but then there will also be cases where that is totally
inappropriate and ensures that you can't really use the function for
your task.

The one which is in GHC right now happens to be exactly what I want
every time that the need arises, except that in the current version,
it flips the order of arguments to the predicate, which seems to
indicate that it should not hurt very badly to insert a 'flip' into
its definition.

An implementation of nubBy which works for an arbitrary equivalence
relation and doesn't require any additional assumptions is going to be
quadratic in any case. You're not going to do better than that,
because in the worst case (a list with all elements non-equivalent)
you have to examine every unordered pair of elements of the list. So
you're at most talking about a constant factor or special case
performance gain, at the cost of not specifying semantics when it
would be useful to be able to rely on them.