Proposal: require spaces around the dot operator

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:09:41 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Isaac Dupree
<ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org> wrote:
> I support requiring spaces around the dot operator, *even if* we don't ever
> end up using it for anything else.

+1.

I would support requiring spaces around _all_ operators. I can't
immediately think of any operator where it would be detrimental, at
least, albeit my memory is not the greatest. It would free up a lot of
syntax space, whatever we might end up using it for. (Obviously we
would need some kind of incremental phase-in plan.)

I think it's worth specifying (for the dot operator or for whichever)
that a space would be required between the operator and its argument,
but not between the operator and parentheses if it's used as a section
(i.e. (f .) and (.) would still be valid).

(FWIW, I don't support phasing out the dot operator completely in
favor of unicode dot.)