Proposal: require spaces around the dot operator

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 00:00:02 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:
> Similar to proposal #20, which wants to remove it, but immediately
> less drastic, even though the long-term goal is the same.
> This helps clear the way for the usage of the unspaced dot as a record
> field selector as shown in proposal #129.

I'm hoping the eventual resolution for the whole record thing doesn't
involve dots, rather, that it does but is using them for composition.
So I don't want to support something that will break hundreds of lines
of code (I often use dot without spaces) for the sake of maybe
supporting something I think there are better solutions to in the
first place!

What's more, if records use dot as composition then not only do we not
need to worry about breaking tons of code and what meaning to give to
(.f) and (f.) sections, but I'll use even more space-less dots, to
compose together record labels :)