String != [Char]

Freddie Manners f.manners at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 23:33:25 CET 2012

To add my tuppence-worth on this, addressed to no-one in particular:

(1) I think getting hung up on UTF-8 correctness is a distraction here.  I
can't imagine anyone suggesting that the C/C++ standards removed support
for (char*) because it wasn't UTF-8 correct: sure, you'd recommend people
use a different type when it matters, but the language standard itself
shouldn't be driven by technical issues that don't affect most people most
of the time.  I'm sure it's good engineering practice to worry about these
things, but the standard isn't there to encourage good engineering practice.

(2) I'd suggest that a proposal that advocated overloaded string literals
-- of which [Char] was an option -- couldn't be much more confusing from a
pedagogical perspective than the fact that numeric literals are overloaded.
 Since that seems to be one of the main biases in favour of [Char] in the
current standard, that might be a possible incremental fix.

Best,
Freddie