Learning Haskell and FP

Benjamin L. Russell russell@brainlink.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 01:14:54 -0500

While it may not be advanced or mathematical enough for your needs, you may wish to read _The Haskell School of Expression: Learning Functional Programming through Multimedia,_ by Paul Hudak.  This is also an introductory book on functional programming, with a special focus on Haskell, although the examples used are mainly from multimedia.

I compared the first few chapters of both _The Craft of Functional Programming_ and _The Haskell School of Expression,_ and personally found Hudak's book (the latter) much more interesting.  The exercises are designed to teach the reader to think in terms of functional, as opposed to imperative or object-oriented, programming--hence the phrase in the title "School of Expression."

--Ben
--
Benjamin L. Russell
russell@brainlink.com