Learning Haskell and FP

Benjamin L. Russell russell@brainlink.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:35:04 -0500

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:48:57 +0100
 Frank Atanassow <franka@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> i r thomas wrote (on 28-12-00 12:50 +1000):
> > Unforunately, the " Gentle Introduction To Haskell"
> that haskell.org links to is not a very useful
> introduction.
> > I am getting  more out of  Rex Paige's Two Dozen Short
> Lessons in Haskell. ( I am studying Haskell and C# on my
> own in my spare time as break from my medical practice ).
>
> What did you find unuseful about GITH? How could it be
> improved? What were
> your expectations for it? What was more useful about Rex
> Paige's notes?

I read part of _GITH,_ too; while it included information necessary for an introduction, the style seemed rather terse and dry, and rather difficult to follow at times, and read more like a manual with many technical details than a tutorial brimming with motivational material, especially when compared to _The Haskell School of Expression_ ("_HSE_" in the sequel).  In particular, it could have had some more interesting examples or some more commentary, both of which made _HSE_ so fascinating.

> >> "Furuike ya!  Kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."  --Matsuo
> Basho
> >
> > Translation please !
>
> Is it OK if I show off and steal some thunder? :)
>
>   "(It's) An old pond! The sound of water steadily
> dripping in..."

Actually, if I may add, the translation I remember was the following:

   "[It's] An old pond!  The sound of water as the frog jumps in...."

"Kawazu" means "frog," and "tobikomu" means "(to) jump in."

--Ben
--
Benjamin L. Russell
russell@brainlink.com