How does one find lazyness bottlenecks?

Fergus Henderson [email protected]
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:49:05 +1100

On 12-Oct-2000, Sengan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Now that ghc 4.08 has a time profiler, I've been improving a program
> I wrote over the last year. However now the GC time dominates the
> execution time (>60%). I can see that my program is not being lazy,
> but I have no idea why.

What makes you think that the GC time is due to insufficient laziness?
My first thought is that high GC times may well be due to the opposite,
too much laziness.  Being lazy means that you create closures to represent
unevaluated expressions, and those closures will eventually need to be
garbage collected.

--
Fergus Henderson <[email protected]>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger [email protected]        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.