group theory. Reply

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:58:04 +0100

S.D.Mechveliani wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> To   Eric Allen Wohlstadter's
>
> : Are there any Haskell libraries or programs related to group theory?

> Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie>  writes
>
> > I think Sergey Mechveliani's docon (algebraic DOmain CONstructor)
> > has facilities for that.

> Sorry,
> DoCon  (<http://www.botik.ru/pub/local/Mechveliani/docon/2.01/>)
>
> really supports the Commutative Rings,
> but provides almost nothing for the Group theory.

EAW again:
> : ... I think it might be a fun exercies to write myself but
> : I'd like to see if it's already been done or what you guys
> : think about it.

SM:
> I never programmed this. It looks like some exercise in algorithms.
> There are also books on the combinatorial group theory, maybe, they
> say something about efficient procedures for this.

==
"Some exercise in algorithms". Hm. There is more to that than this...

This issue has been recently stirred a bit in the comp.functional
newsgroup, in a larger context, general Math, not necessarily the
group theor. There are at least two people *interested* in it,
although they didn't do much yet (for various reasons...)

Suggestion: Take GAP!
( http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~gap/ )

Plenty of simply coded algorithms, specifically in this domain.
I coded just for fun a few simple things in Haskell some time ago,
and it was a real pleasure. The code is cleaner and simpler. Its
presentation is also much cleaner than the original algorithms
written in GAP language. But I discarded all this stuff, thinking
that I would have never time enough to get back to it...

This is a nice project, and I would participate with pleasure in it,
although the time factor is still there...
Dima Pasechnik (<d.pasechnik@twi.tudelft.nl>; does he read it?)
- apparently - as well.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France