FFI - some comments

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:47:05 +0100

> Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:45:44 -0700 (PDT), Ronald Legere=20
> <rjljr2@yahoo.com> pisze:
>=20
> > KDirect: Looked at it abit. Pretty sparsely documented. I could not
> > figure out how it fits in with the latest tools. How does QForeign
> > relate to Foreign? What is an hsc file? Also it is pretty limitted
> > in the marshalling.  No callbacks etc.
>=20
> Here is the story of QForeign, hsc and KDirect.

[ long story deleted... thanks Marcin. ]

To summarise GHC's FFI support:  in the upcoming GHC 5.00 (not long
now!) we have the latest FFI libraries, and we've bundled Marcin's
hsc2hs tool.  This means writing bindings to C libraries is fairly well
supported out of the box; if you want something more sophisticated then
the other tools mentioned in this thread are available.

Cheers,
	Simon