GHC on MacOS X

Sebastien Carlier sebc@posse42.net
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:04:37 +0200

Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> I don't suppose Atze Dykstra or anyone else has done any more work on GHC
> for MacOS X? Currently the 4.08.1 bootstrapping binaries don't work
> properly under the final MacOS X -- I had to rerun ranlib on all the
> libraries, and when I tried to compile a 'Hello World' Haskell program I
> got unresolvable references (look like trivial arithmetic functions) in
> the link phase, apparently coming from 'libHSrts.a'.

Apple separated the math library from the System framework a short
while before OS X 1.0 was released.
You need to recompile the RTS, which is tricky because the GMP library
in 4.08.1 is a bit difficult to compile on OS X.
Can I upload my replacement for libHSrts.a and libgmp.a, or the
complete tarball (~22M) somewhere ?  On Atze's page, maybe ?
Or on www.haskell.org ?

> The ideal would be one or more fink scripts (see
> <http://fink.sourceforge.net/>) that end up with a fully working
> installation of GHC 5.00. But first I have to figure out how to build the
> thing manually.

I've been working on the port to MacOS X.  As it is, GHC 5.00 will not
work even if you manage to compile it - the MachO binary architecture
requires some adjustments in the RTS.
A while ago I managed to get that working, but I stupidly lost some of
the patches.
I've been too busy to do it again recently, but I will have more time
by the end of the month.

--
Sebastien Carlier