Haskell-JNI Bridge

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 02:23:01 -0700

Is Lambada (the Haskell-JNI bridge) gone? The web-page has disappeared.
Using Java seems by far the most obvious way of getting all that
GUI/network/SQL/whatever functionality, especially as the Java platform
is almost ubiquitous (unlike .NET, Tk, X, GTK+, Win32 GDI, etc.).

In this apparent absence I'm writing my own Haskell-JNI bridge. So far, I
can get code compiled with GHC 5 on Linux to call static Java methods
(such as the 'main' method of an application class) and some other stuff
such as create arrays. Phase 1 is to add the rest of the JNI functions
(easy, but time-consuming). Phase 2 is to figure out how to create
classes on the fly that can call back to Haskell. Fortunately Java does
provide functions for loading classes from a byte-array of bytecode.

$ ./TestJNI
Hello from Java!
$

I intend to release it open source at some point.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA