Machine bit representations

pachinko@magicaldesk.com pachinko@magicaldesk.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:51:54 -0700

Hello,

Is it possible in Haskell to access the underlying machine bit representation of a Float or Double value?

I need to be able to be able to send this bit representation as a list of bytes in network byte order to a process running on a different platform (with a different host byte order to my platform).

For reference, I run Haskell under Linux on Intel. The processes I want to communicate with run under Sun Solaris, Hitachi HPUX and Java everywhere.

Any suggestions, for any Haskell translator much appreciated.

Thanks.

Global Virtual Desktop
http://www.magicaldesk.com