getEvent Doubts

Ronald Legere rjljr2@yahoo.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 04:17:39 -0800 (PST)

--- Andre W B Furtado <aw@free.elogica.com.br> wrote:
> [Sorry about the previous email subject :) ]
>
> In Hugs Graphics Library, many procedures call the
> function getEvent with a Window as the parameter.
> But getEvent is defined as below:
>
> getEvent :: Events -> IO Event
>
> How does this work? I've tryied to do something
> similar and got the following error message (in
> GHC):

Actually, this can't work (can it?).
So there must be another
 getEvent :: Window -> IO Event.
 (.i.e. Its sort of  overloaded).
And so , there is at least one, in SOEGraphics.hs
  getEvent window = getWindowEvent window

where getWindowEvent pulls out the Events from
a window and calls Events.getEvent :: Events-> IO
Event
(The getEvent :: Events-> IO Event is imported
qualified from GraphicsEvents.hs. I guess this was
done to avoid defining a type class, and probably
also because the end user doesnt need the
Events.getEvent, or at least very much)

Of course I am just speculating. I didnt write it :)