Happy and Macros (was Re: ANNOUNCE: Happy 1.10 released)

Carl R. Witty cwitty@newtonlabs.com
10 May 2001 10:48:52 -0700

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex@shop.com> writes:

> I am not a parsing expert, but given the recent discussion on macros, I
> have to ask: why use happy rather than monadic parsing?  Monadic parsing
> allows you to avoid a whole additional language/compilation step and work
> in Hugs (where you don't have a makefile).  What does Happy buy you here?

I've used Happy instead of parser combinators because I wanted the
additional global error-checking.  I believe that the standard
implementations of parser combinators will allow you to specify an
ambiguous grammar, and return one of the multiple possible parses,
without warning.

Carl Witty