Monomorphize, was: Re: Proposal for generalized function partition in List-library

John Meacham john@repetae.net
Fri, 18 May 2001 12:32:11 -0700

this is interesting, could someone give an example of how polymorphic
recursion would disallow specialization of a function?
i mean, it seems to me that even if you had recursion, you still have to
actually call the function at some point with some real type and at that
point you can decide whether to use the specialized version or not.

One of the main things i was hopeing was that the seperate 'generic' and
'concrete' functions in the Prelude could be dumped for just the generic
ones. the compiler should be able to optimize for the common cases of
Nums being Ints and whatnot. (with the help of some pragma annotations.)

	-John

John Meacham   http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~john/
California Institute of Technology, Alum.  john@repetae.net