Application letters at the Haskell workshop: suggestion

Jeffrey R Lewis lewie@galconn.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:13:35 -0700

Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> I have been writing substantial Haskell programs and I use *NO* experimental
> features.  What I'm currently working on is over 20000 lines of Haskell 98.
> No extensions whatsoever.  (It even compiles and runs with all available
> Haskell implementations.)
> Granted, I write mostly compiler like programs (files in, files out), but there
> is still a lot you can do in Haskell just as it is.  Sometimes it might require
> bending slightly backwards to get it done, though.

Well, that's nothing!

I have been writing substantial ANSI C programs and I use *NO* experimental
features.  What I'm currently working on is over 20000 lines of ANSI C.
No extensions whatsoever.  (It even compiles and runs with all available
C implementations.)
Granted, I write mostly compiler like programs (files in, files out), but there
is still a lot you can do in ANSI C just as it is.  Sometimes it might require
bending slightly backwards to get it done, though.

;-)

--Jeff