The future of Haskell discussion

Johannes Waldmann joe@isun.informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:30:03 +0200 (MET DST)

> As such, I would like to see a focus on making Haskell great for web
> application and web service development.

Right. On the server side, this is "easy" (and people have done it,
see the example HTML server, and I've used it to code up a game server,
used for a students' programming contest here (*)).

I would love to see Haskell used on the client side, that is,
I want Haskell applets. This would probably require that the user
downloads Hugs as a netscape-plugin?  Or ghc emits Java (byte-)code?
And in both cases: what GUI should we use?

In case you wonder - this application is "purely academic":
the applets should help my students to understands certain concepts
in theoretical computer science. Of course I would then welcome
their questions on "how did you program this"...

(for an example, see the PCP Puzzle
http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~pcp/ but that is a Java program.
I want to program exactly this kind of applet in Haskell!)

(*) the server itself runs fine, but the Java applet to play/display games
http://theopc.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~connect/  currently is broken :-)
--
-- Johannes Waldmann ---- http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~joe/ --
-- joe@informatik.uni-leipzig.de -- phone/fax (+49) 341 9732 204/252 --