RFC: GUI Library Task Force

Mark Carroll mark@chaos.x-philes.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:15:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> At 2001-09-24 05:44, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
(snip)
> >* The library focuses on graphical *user interfaces* (ie,
> >  buttons, menus, scrollbars, selection lists, etc) as
> >  opposed to drawing and animation routines.
>
> Java has APIs for both, I believe.

It does indeed, at least enough for my purposes.

(snip)
> >* We will not design a "purely functional GUI":
>
> Same.

Pity; the idea does sound intriguing. (-: (I know nothing about them
though, hence the smiley.)

> >The Plan
> >~~~~~~~~
> >* Handling of state altered by both the application and by
> >  GUI widgets:
>
> I'm not sure what the issue is here.
(snip)

I guess the point is that the application needs to be able to drive GUI
events itself, and it also has to be able to respond to actions by the
user.

-- Mark