GUI Library Task Force

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:55:26 -0700

At 2001-09-25 01:53, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

>* I am not a big fan of introducing an extra monad (`GUI' in
>  this case).  It can easily become a pain in programs that
>  do a lot of "normal" IO as you have to lift all IO
>  functions to GUI.

Heh. I had to do this for JVM-Bridge because all the JNI functions need
the JavaVM. A bit like this:

     data JVM a = MkJVM (JavaVM -> IO a)
     instance Monad JVM where etc.

...actually there's more to the 'context' than that, but you get the
idea. Of course there's a 'callIO' function to make lifting as painless
as possible.

On the other hand with the full Java API hopefully there's less necessity
to use "normal" IO at all anymore so perhaps it will be less of an issue.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA