> Re: Joy and Concatenative Programming

Manfred von Thun phimvt@LURAC.LATROBE.EDU.AU
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:53:53 +1100

> From: Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang@jeltsch.net>
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:57:16 +0200

[..]

> SAJ told that Joy is functional. If I unterstood him correctly, he said
> functional languages eliminated state and Joy IN ADDITION TO THIS eliminated
> variables and environments. So there must be a important difference to
> Forth because AFAIK Forth didn't eliminate state. Of course the particular
> idea of transforming stacks is not new.

If you like equations of the kind started by Wirth:

Joy   =
   Forth  - state  -  lots_of_other_good_things
          +  (nested) lists  +  GC
          +  program_quotation  +  combinators.

Joy   =
  (pure) Lisp/Scheme  -  lambda_abstraction  -  function_application
                      +  program_quotation   +  function_composition.

Comparisons with ML, Miranda and Haskell are not so useful because
Joy is weakly and dynmically typed.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy.html

  - Manfred