OT: haskell, .net, microsoft and vs

Hal Daume III hdaume@ISI.EDU
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

I apologize for the OT post, but I know there are a lot of @microsoft.com
people here and was hoping to see if anyone there or elsewhere had answers
to a few questions...

I know MS has been touting .net as cross language and cross platform and I
know that at least in many of their talks they mention languages like SML,
Haskell, OCaml, Mercury, etc. and being developed for .net.  I have a
vague idea of how the progress is going on these.

What I'm more intersted in right now is this: they have an *excellent*
development environment (Visual Studio) and have had it for years.  But,
as far as I know, it is not configurable in the sense that I really
couldn't use it to develop applications in any of the languages listed
above -- it supports, C/++/#, ASP, and visual basic, as far as I know.

Does anyone know if either it already does, or if MS plans to support
other more esoteric languages in the development environment...

 - Hal

--
Hal Daume III

 "Computer science is no more about computers    | hdaume@isi.edu