UTF-8 library

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
08 Aug 2002 12:44:26 +0200

On Wednesday, 2002-08-07, 01:53, CEST, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> [...]
> It might also be useful to have stream functions. Decoding UTF8 octets is
> a kind of parsing, after all.

Exactly. I think, it would not only make sense to encode/decode complete
strings but also single characters. So it would be nice to have a parser
which reads one character from an UTF-8 stream. And if I want to use
such a parser for reading several characters and want to apply another
parser to the sequence of characters I've read, I would have an ideal
application for the (>>>) arrow operator I talked about in my e-mail
from May, 24th. I would just write something like
    charFromUTF8Parser >>> resultFromStringParser
and would have a parser reading UTF-8 and yielding the desired result.

> [...]

Wolfgang