GpH & Mosix

paul@theV.net paul@theV.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:49:37 +0800

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:46:34AM +0100, Phil Trinder wrote:
> Paul,
>
> The GdH implementation is currently used here, and is basically in
> beta-release form. If you would use it we could wrap up a and
> X86/Linux version for you.

That will be very sweet! I'd love to play with this thing ;-)
Please post the link when it is ready.

> Don't know a lot about Mosix, but if the PVM calls in the 3 GUM
> communications modules can be replaced with Mosix shared-memory
> routines that would give a low effort port of GUM to a Mosix
> cluster. I'd expect Mosix communication to be *much* faster than
> PVM: it's so generic that it absorbs a lot of time, e.g.  probing
> for a message takes 2000 machine cycles.

That would be indeed a very good research field to work on, I guess
Murray's group will be interested to pick it up from here. Though we
are also experimenting some GpH stuff in a our company, we do not
have the required research force or skill (yet).

Regards,
.paul.