AW: slide: useful function?

Christopher Milton cmiltonperl@yahoo.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:15:33 -0800 (PST)

--- Tom Pledger <Tom.Pledger@peace.com> wrote:
> Nick Name writes:
>  :
>  | Ok I can't resist longer. It's ages I have been wondering what's a
>  | catamorphism, and an anamorphism, and what the hell does it mean
>  | "data is expressed by destructors and not by constructors", but I
>  | have had no time till now. Please some of you all catamorphism
>  | experts tell me a good and clear article to read :)))
>
> As a reader but not an expert, I recommend
> http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~mpj/pubs/springschool.html

There's also
Lex Augusteijn "Sorting Morphisms" (1998)
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/augusteijn98sorting.html
http://www.di.uminho.pt/afp98/PAPERS/Lex.ps

A useful paper on the various -morphisms in the
famous Bananas series of titles:

Erik Meijer, Graham Hutton
Bananas in Space: Extending Fold and Unfold to Exponential Types
(1995)
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/meijer95bananas.html
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/bananas.ps

The more abstract, original Bananas paper:

Erik Meijer, Maarten Fokkinga, Ross Paterson
Functional Programming with Bananas, Lenses, Envelopes and Barbed Wire
(1991)
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/meijer91functional.html
http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/Papers/fpca91.pdf
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~fokkinga/mmf91m.ps

There are other Bananas out there, but some have to do with
imports and tariffs... ;-)

Chris

=====
Christopher Milton