Behavior of fromInteger on out-of-range arguments

Dean Herington heringto@cs.unc.edu
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:11:10 -0500

It seems to me that the behavior for `(fromInteger x)::Int`, where x is
an Integer outside Int range, should be the same (in terms of the
Haskell report) as that for `y + y`, where y is an Int such that
`toInteger y + toInteger y` is outside Int range.  I strongly prefer
that that behavior _not_ be provision of any normal Int value.  It's
been a distinct disappointment for me that Haskell allows such
operations to produce a result without any indication that a
representation fault occurred.

Dean Herington