Unicode again

Ketil's local user ketil@ii.uib.no
16 Jan 2002 10:05:56 +0100

"Kent Karlsson" <kentk@md.chalmers.se> writes:

> Everyone that is serious about Unicode and where efficiency
> is also of concern(!) target UTF-16 (MacOS, Windows, Epoc, Java,
> Oracle, ...).

Isn't it fairly common to use 32bit Unicode character types in C?

I'm not sure I see the efficiency gain of UTF-16 over UTF-8 or
UTF-32, as you still need the multi-unit character management as in
UTF-8, while most of the time using more memory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that UTF-16 was chosen
partly on the assumption that all of Unicode would fit, and I'm not
sure it's such an obvious choice today.

-kzm