Library report, monad zero laws

Jon Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn@cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:11:05 +0100

Apologies for responding to messages in reverse order . . .

> * My reluctance to change the draft H98 report is rising sharply.

Understood!

> * I don't think the H98 report has ever had laws about mzero etc.

No, they went on the transition from 1.4, I think.

> * And the whole laws business is flaky because people can and do
>    make instances of Monad that don't obey the laws.

That's what made me ask the question. Either it shouldn't
say what it does about mzero being the zero, or it should
explain more.

So an alternative would be to remove the remark about the
zero, but then we'd be left with no clues about the
intentions. =

  J=F3n

-- =

J=F3n Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn@cl.cam.ac.u=
31 Chalmers Road                                         jf@cl.cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB1 3SZ            +44 1223 570179 (after 14:00 only, please!)