A Cygwin port of hmake?

Claus Reinke claus.reinke@talk21.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:45:07 -0000

> Has anyone attempted / considered porting hmake to Cygwin?
>
> I'd like to try HaXmL under ghc on Windows, but it seems to require
> hmake to build.

Just curious: is that the HaXmL in hslibs.Text that comes with ghc?
Aren't hslibs thingies supposed to be portable (and ported/updated,
if they come with a Haskell implementation)?

> I made a naieve attempt to configure and build hmake under Cygwin
> myself, but the resulting Makefile tried to pass Cygwin-style
> /cygdrive/c/... paths to ghc, which promptly choked.

I'm no expert on configure, but who exactly is putting the /cygdrive/c/..
stuff in there? Cygwin should use its pretended filesystem, or indeed
local paths, so perhaps someone is explicitly setting an absolute path
or path-prefix. Can you configure with c:/ instead (I understand that
ghc only chokes on cygwin specials, not on Windows-infelicities or
local paths, and some cygwin tools are tolerant towards c:/.. style),
perhaps by setting appropriate prefixes? I seem to remember that
compiling HOpenGL with non-cygwin GHC under cygwin/Win2k,
using configure and co, worked without such problems.

Claus