question about concurrency implementation

Dean Herington heringto@cs.unc.edu
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:56:27 -0500 (EST)

By "true concurrency" I meant "simultaneous execution of multiple threads
by multiple processors".  This involves both concepts you define:
"concurrency" (to have multiple threads) and "parallelism" (to have them
execute possibly simultaneously when multiple processors are available).

From Simon Marlow's reply, I gather that the current implementations of
Concurrent Haskell provide "concurrency" but not "parallelism", and that
provision of parallelism is not likely in the near term.

I've asked these questions in order to convince myself that multiple
threads can (and will) cooperate in lazily evaluating a value they share,
without need for any special programming.  In particular, I plan to have
multiple threads share values whose computations involve uses of
`unsafePerformIO` (the safety of which my application's usage pattern
guarantees).

Thanks to you and others for your helpful replies.

Dean